Poems and Stories

Poems and Stories

Friday, July 13, 2012

How I Became To Love Poetry

      Well in 6th grade I had a teacher named Ms.Lloyd and she was my reading teacher. In class she would have us write poetry in our poetry journals. At first, I played around and didn't care much until me and my best friend got into a fight and I wrote a poem about her. My teacher never does it but she had people stand in front of the class and read their poem. You will never guess who she called on last. Me!!!!!. So I got up and held my poetry book so tight. There was no finding another poem to read since my teacher read everyone's poem to see if they just stand up and make up something off the top of their head. Well anyways there was no way out of this sticky situation...so I read it. I tried not to look at my best friends face as I got to the middle of my poem but I just couldn't resist and so I did. I was surprised, she'd looked so calm like she didn't have a clue I was talking about her. As I was done, my teacher stood up clapping like a maniac. She told me that my poem was amazing, the best poem she had ever seen a sixth grader write, she also asked if she could show the other teachers. I was amazed. At the end of the school day I went apologize to my friend since it WAS my fault for us being mad at each other. Then she forgave me and asked, "was that poem about me?". I stumbled with my words," uh, uh, uh, no, yes, maybe, a little, sorry". She ended up not caring weather it was or not. Anyways moving forward a few months, there was a poem reading contest. Everyone had to participate. We had to chose a poem from a book, famous or non-famous poet, or we write our own. Well to be lazy I chose a famous poet. My favorite poet ever....drum-roll please.....Maya Angelou. I chose my favorite poem of hers "I Love the Look of Words"- I studied it and everything seeing as though our class would have to visit another class and preform for them and they score how we did on a sheet of paper. We had to do the movement and say they words flamboyantly....Just kidding....we had to say it like we were trying to convince somebody of what we were saying. Anyways I had it all down until everyone had went and it was my turn. I just stood there, like a stick and said the poem. I had a really bad score.

       So to skip a few years of not writing poetry. My sister showed me a few poems of her own. They were good. I mean they were really good. So I became jealous. I do that a lot, meaning when I know I am great at something and I see someone else do it and they're pretty great too, well I become jealous so that I can get better at it. It's a pretty messed up way to try to become better at something but everyone has their own way of doing stuff. Anyways, so we challenged each other. Well a poem writing contest. We decided for the contest we would write a poem for each other. My poem was called "My Sisters Keeper". It was amazing. I never knew I could write anything so good. Hers was called... Well... Um... I kinda forgot. Anyways it doesn't matter because I lost mines anyways...by accident of course. I was so busy trying to show everyone that in the process of it getting passed around... Well... I don't know what happened to it.

Anyways I hope you enjoyed this dreadfully long story of mine. Stay tuned for more poem and stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, please feel free to comment. Don't worry I don't mind criticism but I won't tolerate ignorance. There is a fine line between the two. Also, I love compliments more.